INTRODUCTION TO NETWORK
COURSE SYLLABUS (PROVISIONAL)
Basic Probability Theory
· Review of key mathematical methods – probabilities etc., Poisson Process.
· Simple Queuing and dimensioning formulae – ErlangB, M/M/1 queues, Pollachek-Khintchine formulae etc.
· Non-Poisson processes (eg Internet traffic) – self-similar traffic (long-tail distributions) – can we just use Poisson?
· What do we measure, why isn’t it the same as last time; how many measurements (confidence limits), model determination (is it Poisson? etc).
· Long term trends – drivers (technology, acceptance etc), modelling effect of drivers, extraction of trends from time series.
Performance Engineering – TCP/IP
· Review of TCP/IP + effects of delays, losses on TCP/IP
· Voice over IP as an example
THE LECTURERMs Frances Coakley is a Senior Lecturer in the University of Surrey’s School of Electronic Engineering, Information Technology and Mathematics where she lecturers in Telecommunications Networks, Teletraffic Real-Time Software and Microprocessors. Her current research interests are on-board processing for satellites, which include on-board digital switching and digital signal processing, in particular work on multi-carrier demodulation.
VENUEThe course will be hosted at the University of Surrey, one of the leaders in the provision of continuing professional development and will draw upon the expertise of the Centre for Communications Systems Research, one of the country’s leading research establishments.
The University campus is ideally situated between Heathrow and Gatwick, a few miles from the M25 and the M3 and only 30 miles from central London.
Time Monday Tuesday 09:00-10:30 Basic Probability Theory
10:30-11:00 COFFEE COFFEE 11:00-12:30 Basic Probability Theory
12:30-14:00 LUNCH LUNCH 14:00-15:30 Traffic Modelling Performance Engineering
15:30-16:00 TEA TEA 16:00-17:30 Traffic Estimation
Last update: 15 June 2000 B Steel
Price per person, including lunch, refreshments and printed course notesEnquiries should be addressed to:
- £650 Standard Rate
- £620 Early Bird rate for payment received one month before course running date
- Discounts are available for bookings of 3 or more people from the same company. Please enquire.To reserve a place on the above course please complete this registration form.Barbara Steel, Course Co-ordinator Tel: +44(0)1483 876040 Fax: +44(0)1483 876041 Email: Shortemail@example.com
BACK TO MAIN COURSE CALENDAR
BACK TO TOP OF PAGE
15 April 2000 B Steel