“Writing Reports for Non-Technical Readers”
26 November 2002
Who for?Anyone who needs to write reports as part of their work, in particular those who would like to speed up the process at the same time as enhancing the quality of what they write.
AimsTo enhance the specific skills of planning, writing and editing which are needed for reports, in particular reports on technical topics.
Content and delivery
An activity based, participative session in which delegates will work on:
* techniques for clear writing
* planning skills
* getting started
* assessing and meeting readers' needs
* knowing when writing is 'fit to go'.
The facilitatorDr Joanna Channell has twenty years' experience of researching, teaching and writing about language and communication. After ten years in universities as a lecturer in applied linguistics, course leader and manager, she set up her consultancy business in 1993 and provides research and training to businesses, Government departments, local authorities, hospitals and universities.
Joanna has worked with many engineers, scientists and medical researchers, enabling them to communicate their work effectively, both face to face and in writing. Recently she has been working with a national consumer body on customer correspondence, evaluating the management of a partnership project and writing and editing reports and articles. She is a regular contributor to the University of Surrey Engineering Doctorate programme, supporting students in the writing up of their research, and also to the University's staff development programme. She is the author of The Words You Need and More words you Need (Macmillan 1980 and 1985) and of Vague Language (Oxford University Press, 1994). Her most recent publication is a contribution to the new Macmillan English Dictionary (2002).
· REGISTRATION AT 8:00AM- BREAKFAST WILL BE AVAILABLE.
· SEMINAR: 8.30 AM - 11 AM
(INCLUSIVE OF SEMINAR, ALL SEMINAR MATERIALS AND REFRESHMENTS)
£50 PER PERSON STANDARD RATE
£25 PER PERSON SUBSIDISED RATE FOR SMES*
* There are limited places available at this rate and they will be allocated on a "first come, first served" basis - one subsidised place per SME. Please enquire for qualifying criteria.
General Terms and Conditions.1. PLACES ARE RESTRICTED TO 2 PER COMPANY
2. PAYMENT MAY BE MADE BY CREDIT CARD OR CHEQUE. PLEASE MAKE CHEQUES PAYABLE TO THE “UNIVERSITY OF SURREY”. ALL PAYMENTS SHOULD BE ACCOMPANIED BY THE ATTACHED REGISTRATION FORM.
3. CANCELLATIONS MUST BE NOTIFIED IN WRITING TEN WORKING DAYS BEFORE THE EVENT. CANCELLATIONS WILL BE CHARGED AT 25% OF THE STANDARD RATE. IF FULL PAYMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN RECEIVED WE WILL REFUND 75%.
4. CANCELLATIONS RECEIVED WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS OF THE EVENT WILL BE CHARGED AT THE FULL RATE. WE DO NOT GIVE REFUNDS UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES.
5. YOU CAN MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS AT ANY TIME BEFORE THE EVENT.
6. THE UNIVERSITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE EVENT DUE TO INSUFFICIENT NUMBERS, OR FOR OTHER REASONS BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
Enquiries and Registrations should be addressed to:
Suzanne Combly, Business Skills Coordinator at UniSdirect
Phone 01483-683739; Fax 01483-683481; e-mail email@example.com